Thursday, October 22, 2015

Encaustic Painting, Memories and Wind Swept


Wind Swept
encaustic mixed media 18x24
 
This encaustic painting has been sitting in my studio for almost a year.  I started it, but never finished.   I didn't want to paint over it for some reason, as this scene has great meaning to me.  I finally finished it this past weekend and it finally came together with relative ease.  I realized today, that it has taken me almost a year to get the skills I needed in order to finish it.  I needed to be working with India ink, carving with an exacto knife, filling with oil paint and using caran d'ache neocolor in my work.  These are not things that I was doing a year ago. 

This scene is from our family beach house.  It is where I spent summers and every weekend of my childhood years.  The house was sold this time last year.  An end of a chapter, but one that had to come.  So, I wanted to have something that reminded me of those years and that place and those memories.  That's why this painting came to be.  I realized once it was finished that this is the first time in my life that I have not visited this place in the world in a year's time.
Below are details of the painting and I have come to realize that a series of these lovely trees may be in my future :)

Happy Friday everyone!







14 comments:

  1. Wonderful art, your windswept tree is fantastic. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your encaustic painting. It is really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your encaustics are wonderful - I love the caran d'ache neocolor as well - what a lovely addition to your work!
    & how poignant about the sale of the family summer-home! I lived at a mountain retreat center for 3 years in the 90s, one of my favorite remote spots, and haven't been for more than a year ... time to go SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marji, I like your encaustic painting very much. You certainly have a unique skill with those art tools. It is a beautiful reminder of something from your childhood and I'm guessing this one will not be sold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning piece Marji! The first thing I thought when I saw this tree was the Pacific Northwest... Love the story behind it too. Hope you one day post a photo of the place and where it was located!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel the wind and the atmosphere of the place. Absolutely beautiful work. You have captured the essence. I have done a little encaustic, so understand the process ... obviously you are a master at work. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a touching and heartfelt story, which is reflective in the work you've put into this gorgeous painting. The detailing in your tree makes it very lively. Happy PPF and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful encaustic piece! How wonderful that you were able to capture a memory in this way. This piece was definitely worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful, beautiful painting Marji. You can just feel and see your memories coming thru.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a new favourite for me... the delicacy and movement are perfect and amazing that you didn't have the skills to finish it a year ago as I always think of you full formed with a bucketload of enviable skills. This is amazing... I feel all gushy about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Your painting is wonderful!! I love trees anyway- I don't know why but it reminds me of Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is stunning! I am so impressed with your encaustic art. You truly have a great talent with it.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a wild untamed feel to your painting--as though there is a stormy wind sweeping through the branches. I love it so much. This painting fills my eyes, which is the greatest compliment I can give.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...