Friday, October 9, 2015

Encaustic Painting, Carving, Graphite and Last Dance



Last Dance
encaustic, graphite and oil on birch 10x10

Fall is here and my walks are full of rich colors and layers.  Encaustic painting really excels in allowing beautiful layering in paintings.  I have been experimenting with using powdered graphite recently.  It really does some amazing things on the wax.  Although it is kind of messy and sticky to everything, the ability to shade and create interesting depth adds a new dimension to things.  Plus, I really love the subtle grays it produces.  I'm also finding the fine lines I can get using an exacto knife in the wax is adding another aspect to getting more detail with a medium that tends to be a little cranky when it comes to fine lines. 
For those of you interested in the process - the background is laid in with graphite and the fine drawn graphite lines are actually done on tissue paper and added to the painting.  The colors are wax and the white leaves are carved with the exacto knife and the line work highlighted with oil stick. 
I hope those of you in the Northern hemisphere are getting out and enjoying Mother Nature's amazing display of fall and all its beautiful colors and layers.
Happy Friday everyone!
 

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful work with some most interesting techniques. Congrats on being featured at PPF this week. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This almost looks 3-D! I am so drawn to this piece--it fills my eyes to the brim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE how you have achieved such depth and translucent layering in this beautiful piece Marji!!! I have just read about graphite powder for using in cold wax and oil too. Not sure if it's worth purchasing ...yet:):)
    And congrats on having your DARLING chickadee showcased this week at PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, so delicate and moving. The title is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely stunning

    happy PPF

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so superb... the graphite powder is a favourite medium for me... I used to be so addicted to it... you should see what it is like when you put it over PVA glue that has dried... it looks like molten metal... amazing stuff... and gloriously messy... somehow you are managing to work a mix of precision and depth into these... they blow me away... and congrats on being the featured artist on PPF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning work Marji...just fascinating to hear your process and see how the new dimension develops...thank you for sharing...beautiful! Congratulations being featured...and with such a lovely birdy too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just so beautiful! Love how delicate the leaves are. I'm always so intrigued by your encaustic paintings. I've only just discovered graphite powder for drawing, and still have to experiment with it. Enjoy the beautiful autumn days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have achieved such depth and beauty here, marji. i am a fan of your work! ... well, you know that already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous layering and texture!! Your processes are always so interesting and unique. LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! You have so much depth from the layers and I love the subtle look of the graphite. I really enjoy reading about your process so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...