Thursday, September 24, 2015

Encaustic Painting, Fish and Captain




Captain
detail encaustic mixed media on birch 6 x 24

There is something about encaustic painting and fish that just really go together for me.  The textures and the colors are incredible fun.  I'm still working the concept of bigger through modular, diptych or triptych.  This painting actually started with the center piece.  I was demoing to a friend and showing her how texture and mark making work in encaustic.  The panel just looked like it needed to be part of a fish and the rest came together from other 1/2 started panels on my work table. 
 

Captain
encaustic mixed media on birch
triptych 6 x 24

Sometimes images come together quickly and sometimes they seem to take eternity to present themselves upon the surface.  Captain here was a quick one once he got under way.  Thankfully, because we all need victories in the studio to keep the wind in our sails.  A few finishing touches yet to go, so Captain sits on my mantel where I can see him every time I pass by.  The small little nuances will come to mind,  a mark here a line there, a little more yellow, a little less yellow... we'll see.  But he's a keeper.
A happy first weekend of fall/spring to everyone! 
Oh and a Question for you all - do you think fish have that little dot of reflected light in their eye? 

Captain
detail
 
Captain
detail




21 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - the texture is AMAZING! Good question about the reflection in his eye.. they have such glassy eyes once on land...would love to hear what others have observed about light reflection under water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if they have the light (it's called a "catch light" in photography) or not, but to me having it says "I'm alive" and not having it makes for a dead-looking eye. Super piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful texture on your fish.Love the painting very much. To be honest, I don't know, but I imagine not. I mostly see my fish deep frozen! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely agree encaustic painting and fish go together beautifully! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful fish. I think it is very thoughtful fish and there under water is no white spot on eye. Goldfish might be, Lol!
    Love your fish, happy PPF ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, your painting is so real, I could swear I could smell that fish, and feel his scales. Wonderful work.
    Sending Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fish do seem to shimmer! I do love the way you have brought them to life so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, Marji, this is incredible. I agree entirely that encaustic and the fish scales seem to work perfectly. I agree with Judy that even if in reality there is no light in the eye underwater, artistic licence should be deployed to create one so that the eyes still reflect life (if not light) perhaps a certain iridescence if not an actual white spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, the texture is so living looking!

    I've never tried encaustic painting, the result looks so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess this texture could only be achieved by encaustics. Happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a magnificent win... I need a few of them to get my wind back in my sails as I have been stalled all week lol... the eye is simply amazing and I love that we got a close up to be able to see it in it's glory

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a marvelous combination of theme and , well, you are amazing with encaustics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So amazing...So marketable to fishermen!! Is there a store at fishermans wharf you could sell these painting in, they'd make wonderful Christmas gifts! Stunning...I love the eye so much, whatever you've done is so realistic!! I did an image search, some fish do have the white reflection and some don't!! You are soooo talented!

    Hugs Giggles

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome skin/scales in your encaustic painting. I feel like I could reach out and actually touch the skin. Such beautiful work, Marji.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing, it really draws me in. I do think fish have a dot of light in their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic encaustic work, you inspire to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He looks alive. I'm just in awe of your wonderful artwork, my talented Friend. This piece fills my eyes, which is the greatest compliment I can give.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing texture. I have never tried encaustic but I do like encaustic work in others. Being a vegetarin don't know much about fish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ewwww, that was too realistic. Good job. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...