Thursday, February 12, 2015

Encaustic Collagraph with Monotype, Print Making and Fish



encaustic collagraph
I spent my morning in the print studio inking and printing the encaustic collagraph plates that I had prepared in my home studio.  I had my first "yay" moment with encaustic collagraph, today. I've been trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work.  Frankly, I've had a lot of disappointments in the print shop.  I was feeling like the school girl crush had run its course and I was moving on to the next star struck love of my life.  And, then today came together and now I'm back in love with printing making again.    



encaustic collagraph monotype
10x10
There were 5 plates involved in these two prints.  One with the lines that are scratched into the plexi glass, two collagraph plates made with wax and two monotype plates that were the background fish.  I tend to be a bit of an eager artist, so print making is a challenge for me.  Slowing down, precision and attention to detail take a lot of concentration for this mere mortal.    



encaustic collagraph with monotype
10x10

I had some rooky mistakes and honestly my knowledge of printmaking is so very shallow that I only know enough to be dangerous.  But, I am looking forward to taking the waxed plates back to the print studio and trying another pass at all this with what I learned today.  The good news or the bad news is that I won't be able to make them the same - maybe kind of, but not the same.  That's the joy and adventure of monotype - only one.   Happy Friday everyone!

encaustic collagraph plates ready for ink
and the monotype plates ready to go







12 comments:

  1. Your work is always amazing!!! Beautiful.

    Have a great day!
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marji, you adventuresome girl you!!! I love it that you try all these new things, and fearlessly too. Your fish art is awesome. I haven't the foggiest idea what collagraph means but you have made beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you so much for even trying this - I totally don't understand the process at all - reading your post about all the different plates just boggles my mind! I think the outcome with the fish was wonderful but I do miss your gorgeous colourful encaustics - can you do these prints in different colours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve dedicated artist of the year award! Wow so much skill involved. Even though I read every word I feel like a foreigner unable to understand the language. I feel like it's one of those you gotta be there moments! However the outcome is stunning as always!! Good job Marji! I could see this as prints of tee-shirts for fathers day...however I probably have that all wrong don't I....ho hum....sigh!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you didn't give up-these fish prints are fabulous Marji!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your processes are always so very interesting... and your end results unique and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic effect. my favourite black and white and great subject you picked as well. Great work. Inspiring. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are definitely not a disappointment! Gorgeous prints.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool! I think print making is such a challenge! Wonderful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds complicated but the result is fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...