Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Eatting Leafy Greens


We went to a BBQ at a friend's house over the Memorial Day weekend.  Bring something to share was the only request from the hostess.  Fresh wild salmon on the BBQ, cooked on cedar planks - that was the main course. 
I don't know about you but salad is my usual safe bet for contribution at a pot luck.  Its my fall back, my comfort zone and easy I might add. 
Keeping on track with my break from the HBZ (Half Baked Zone) and my intent to step it up in my life... I went outside the box and prepared a kale salad rather than my ususal green salad.  It was beautiful in its dark leafy green-ness.  A real hit with the party goers (not a spoonful left to take home).  And, a nice add as a side for salmon.  It not only has kale, but also chard and wild rice amoung other flavors like lemon and fennel.  Yummy to say the least, easy and good for ya too.

Kale and Wild Rice Salad

1 cup uncooked organic wild rice

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup lemon juice

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 bunch organic kale

1/2 bunch organic chard

1/2 diced red bell pepper

1/2 diced yellow bell pepper

1/2 thinly sliced fennel bulb

1 bunch green onion, chopped

1/2 cup chopped parsley

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Salt the water (if desired) and add rice. Bring back to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 60 to 65 minutes. When the water is absorbed, remove from heat and let cool.

Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. When the rice is cool, toss with dressing.

Remove tough stems and ribs from greens and chiffonade. Combine with peppers, fennel and green onion. Just before serving, toss veggies with dressed rice.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...